Morocco withdraws from Arab coalition in Yemen; Houthis send message to Rabat

Following reports that Rabat would stop its military involvement in the Yemeni conflict, the Houthis sent a telegram to Morocco to thank them for their gesture as a step towards the cessation of hostilities.

Prime Minister of the rebel Houthi administration, Abdel Aziz bin Habtour, has declared the Moroccan decision to suspend its participation alongside the Arab coalition in Yemen as “positive” sign, reports the Yemeni Saba agency.

In a telegram sent to the Moroccan Prime Minister, the Houthi official noted “the importance and the positive impact of this decision on the relations between Yemen and Morocco”, considering it as “a proof of the absurd nature of this aggression”.

He also hoped that, by taking the decision to withdraw from the conflict, the Moroccan authorities would contribute to the cessation of hostilities.

Several government sources interviewed by AP, RFI and several Moroccan media agencies said in early February that Rabat was stopping its military involvement in the conflict in Yemen.

Some media outlets also claimed that Morocco has recalled its ambassador to Riyadh amid tensions between the two countries.

Contacted by Sputnik on February 11, the Moroccan foreign minister denied the ambassador’s recall. Information on Moroccan participation in the coalition in Yemen has so far been neither officially confirmed nor denied.

Earlier, the US-based Associated Press reported, citing Moroccan government sources, that relations between Morocco and Saudi Arabia were in crisis.

At its origins, the media quotes the interview given at the end of January by Nasser Bourita, Moroccan Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, to the Qatari channel Al- Jazeera.

During the interview, the minister said that his country’s engagement in the Yemeni conflict, under the leadership of Riyadh’s Arab coalition, had “changed”.

Yemen has been plagued by a civil war between the government of the 2012 revolution and the Houthi rebels since 2014. The conflict was internationalized in March 2015 with the intervention of many Muslim countries led by Saudi Arabia in support of the government.

The humanitarian situation is described by the UN as “the worst humanitarian crisis in the world”, the latest assessment of the conflict dating from 2016 already reporting 10,000 deaths.

Source: Sputnik